Dr First Telephone Assessment
We operate a system called Dr First. This means that all patients who request an appointment are assessed by a Dr over the telephone prior to an appointment being made.
If you call the practice between 08.30am -09.30am your call will be transferred to a Dr who will take some details and assess the nature and urgency of your call and then either:
- give you advice on how to manage your condition without the need to be seen
- suggest over-the-counter treatments that can be purchased at a pharmacy
- make you an appointment for that day, or a future day if possible
- advise you to make an appointment with a nurse or HCA
- refer you to another service
- issue a prescription, if appropriate
We try, whenever possible, to make appointments, either following assessment or follow-ups, for the Dr of your choice. If you are being assessed by a different Dr and advised that you need to come in and you wish to be seen by a different Dr to the one that is assessing you, please tell the Dr. If an appointment can be made with the Dr of your choice it will be, but please bear in mind that doctors have annual leave, essential study days and clinical meetings to attend, which means they are not always in surgery.
We are very proud of our rapid assessment service as it enables all our patients to receive advice and treatment from a doctor the same day and allows quicker referrals to other services, if required.
Download Dr First telephone assessment Q&As.doc